Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

3 Evenings in Roma

So I am super late in posting about Rome, but it was go go go and once I got back to good old US of A I got super sick!

Now that I am on the mend I am able to post about Rome. 3 days in Rome was a perfect amount of time to see the sights and enjoy the city.
Day 1 in Rome:

Friday morning was spent taking it easy in the hotel until about 11:00 am. We knew that there would be a metro strike so we were trying to coordinate the alternative forms of transportation. That morning we learned more about our friends and fellow MBA trip participants in Japan. Thankfully they were out of harms way and were all safe. They felt their building sway but no significant damage. We were concerned about their return flight, but they made it back on time. Lots to be thankful for.

Little did we know that the strike march would happen right outside our window. It was a peaceful march with flags and music. Our guide told us that this is a common occurrence in Rome.

We walked through the streets down to the Colosseum. It was an impressive sight indeed. A bit different than I expected, but still quite a sight.


We had visits to FAO and a luxury hotel. We went and saw the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. I made sure to throw a couple in the fountain. Afterwards I couldn't get the song "3 coins in a fountain" out of my head.

1 coin: You will return to Rome
2 coins: You will find love in Rome
3 coins: Doesn't mean anything according to our guide...but I still love the song.


Day 2 in Rome:

Day 2 was filled with sight seeing. We started out at the Vatican Museum. It was quite different than I expected. I was overwhelmed by all of the art and sculpture filling the museum. The rooms leading up to the Sistine Chapel were so beautiful and in some ways even more beautiful than the chapel itself. Tapestries and carvings filled the rooms. There wasn't a square inch that wasn't covered with some sort of art.

Saint Peter Holding the Keys at the Vatican:


We were told that we should be silent and not to take photographs while in the chapel. When we got in there it was a very different story. People were crammed in there like sardines. People were yelling and photography flashes were going off left and right. It was really distracting and quite disappointing that people would so blatantly disregard and disrespect the rules. It was hard to take in the beauty of the room.

Saint Peter's Basilica was exquisit and massive. The colors and lighting that day were electric. I loved seeing the beautiful stained glass window at the front dipicting the Holy Ghost in the form of a dove.



Afterwards we walked through the streets of Rome and had lunch at the Pizza Navona. We walked down to the Pantheon, Forum and the Colosseum. It was a beautiful late afternoon and the lighting was perfect for photos.

The Pantheon:


The Forum:

The Original Cesear's Palace (what's left of it):


We were all so tired, we went to bed without dinner. Thank heavens for a cozy bed and bubble bath to sooth the aching feet.

Day 3 in Rome:

Day 3 was filled with even more sight seeing. The day was rainy and cold so we took our time strolling the streets of Trastevere. We found the beautiful church Saint Maria in Trastevere. I think it was my favorite church of the whole trip. The ceilings and floors were exquisitely decorated. We got to see the end of Sunday Mass. The back wall of the church was covered with gold leafing and mosaic depictions of Christ and scenes from the gospels.








We continued to stroll through the streets and then ended up at the Hard Rock Cafe. Nothing like a bit of American culture stuck in the middle of Rome. I must admit it was one of the best burgers I have had :)

We then visited the Museo Borghese. It used to be a stately home amongst beautiful gardens. It reminded me a bit of Boston Common. The museum was beautiful. The most exquisite sculptures of the whole trip.

We headed back to the hotel to prepare for the 5 am flight home. After one more stop for pizza and beloved gelato. The sun set on this great adventure.

I am glad to be home in the states in my own bed and surrounded by my own things. I love traveling but I also love the contrasts of coming home. Home hasn't changed, but I have changed. My perspective is broadened and the view of the big wide world has been enriched.


I am so thankful to my sweet mom who was there to pick me up at 10 pm Monday night and had a warm bowl of Irish stew to welcome me home just in time for St. Patrick's Day.

Now on to preparations for South America June 2011!

1 comments:

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

I want your job! Glad you had a blast and enjoyed every minute. Carpe Diem!