Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Reggio Emilia and Florence

Wow! So much has happened in the last few days. It has been running running running all the time. I have a lot of pictures to share. We had a wonderful visit with the students at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia. Dr Fadel has a collegue at the university and we had a great day talking with the students. We visited a company called MetaSystems. They create and engineer electronic products that are sold to BMW GM and other car manufacturers. We got to see the microchip production line. It is amazing how fast the technology industry moves and innovates almost daily.

We met up with the students for an aperitivo at a local cafe. This is a traditional experience in Italy. You pay for your drink and then they have finger foods and of course italian pizza available for free. We had non-alcoholic pina coladas and enjoyed their company for time.

We got in to Florence late that evening.

In the morning we had an apointment to see Michalangelo's masterpiece. The David. And a masterpiece it truly is. Pictures and recreations do not do it justice. I was captivated by the detail in the hands and the way you could see the muscle and form under the "skin". It was explained that Michalangelo carved the statue from a block of marble that was kind of discarded at a constuction site. I thought of the poem "The touch of the master's hand" and how there was that truly divine potential within that discarded and forgotten block of stone. It took a more knowing and skilled craftsman to "release" the beauty and awe inspiring masterpiece within.

Florence was breathtaking. The Duomo is so beautiful with its red and green marble. It is sad that the polution in the city causes the marble to stain. They are working on cleaning it during the off season, so most every major sight has construction and scafolding. But it is worth coming during this time to avoid all of the crowds.
We made the trek up the 400+ stairs to the top of the bell tower. It was a hike but was so worth the amazing view.
The Duomo, Baptistry and Bell Tower:


The Bell Tower...looking a bit ominous:



I made it to the top! (I kept telling myself it was not as hard as the Great Wall of China:))




So worth the view!


After stopping for a much deserved gelato, we hit the market for some shopping. I have never seen so much leather in all of my life. The only thing I couldn't get over was the prices. Not cheap. I was searching for something that would stand out to me enough to justify the expense.
I finally found it on the street in front of the Uffitzi museum. A street painter had some beautiful and creative watercolors for sale. I was so happy to find just the right one to frame and remind me of this magical trip.

We saw more famous art and sculpture than I could ever hope to remember. It was overwhelming to see such beauty everywhere I looked.
In the plaza a guitar player was playing the theme song to the original Romeo and Juliet movies. It was a bit to perfect and picturesque. I have been humming that song ever since.
We strolled the streets by the river as the sun was setting. Hard to think of a more beautiful place. Unfortunately the one day in Florence went by all too quickly. We had to board the bus and take a late night bus ride 3 1/2 hours to Rome. More on that tomorrow. Ciao from Roma!








0 comments: