Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Arrived in Milan...What a Wonderful World!

After over 12 hours of travel. Mechanical issues...changing planes...etc. I am finally in Italy.

What a trip! It was a day full of airports, changing planes and checking luggage. I am so grateful for modern aviation technology that could bring me 4400 miles across the ocean in a matter of hours. AMAZING! Even if the in-flight entertainment never worked...bummer.

We arrived in Milan at 9 am Saturday morning. (8 hours ahead of good old Utah). So we had to go out and make the most of the day. We got to our hotel and headed to the Duomo.


What a spectactular sight.


Hundreds of spires and thousands of carved faces and figures adorn that magnificent building. The doors are exquisit metal that is carved so intricately. The inside is breathtaking with all of the stained glass and columns that look like they literally reach to the heavens.

We window shopped and people watched in the mall adjacent to the Duomo. Had a late lunch. Classic Italian of course.

It is a bit chilly here in Italy. Everyone is bundled up in their black coats, knee high boots, and colorful scarfs. You can tell just by looking at the people that this is one of the fashion capitals of the world.

The group is off to exciting excursions tomorrow. Lake Como or Venice. I am kind of undecided about which place to go. Choices...Choices. What a hard decision ;)

I am again in awe of how much perspective is gained through travel. I am able to see Italy the good the bad the beautiful and the ugly. It is amazing the similarities and striking differences between this country and others I have visited. As always, I am grateful to be able to gain this perspective. As Louis Armstrong so beautifully put it..."I think to myself, what a wonderful world!"

0 comments: