Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Shanghai

"Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head" I love China but it hasnt stopped raining! My mom bought a rain stick before I left and I think she jinxed me! We have had partial rain to a complete down-pour! I have never seen so much rain.

Shanghai is a beautiful big city. We have been fortunate enough to meet with some amazing companys. Deloitte Accounting was an amazing contact. We talked with them in this amazing office complex that would rival any in New York. After that we visited a company that manufactures air-bags, seat belts and stearing wheels for many different car companies. It was amazing to see the production line and their testing facility. I felt like I was in a Mr. Rogers segment with Mr. Mcfealy speedy delivery. We got to see them put the foam coating on stearing wheels and cutting out the material, sewing and assembling the air bags.

It is humbling to take a step back and realize what great opportunities there are in the world.

We had a traditional "Hot Pot" dinner with some alumni and the owner of the place. I think I have eaten the most watermelon I have ever had in my life. They have it at the end of every meal as a type of dessert. It is great. I love their philosophy of eating. You eat like an king or emperor for breakfast, a merchant for lunch, and a peasant for dinner. In other words you fill up at breakfast, eat marginal at lunch, and have a light dinner. It feels so nice. Their food is so simple but fresh and nutritous. I think I have only seen one overweight asian since I have been here. They eat so many veggies. I am going to try to continue this when I get back to the states.

We had a cool experience at a local supermarket. It was so interesting just walking around the store. They had so many crazy fruits and veggies. Bins of chicken parts and chicken feet. People would sift through them like picking out the best apple.
The best was the meat counter! Fresh meat. Literally still alive and swimming. Frogs, Turtles, Fish, and a bucket full of sea snakes and eels. Dont worry I have pics to prove it! I havent been brave enough to try any of those yet but there are still three weeks to go and Vietnam is next!

When I stop to think of the things that I have learned, I dont know where to begin. It is amazing how you can think one thing about a country your whole life and that perception can be shattered in less than 2 weeks. I have so much more to tell all of you that want to listen to me ramble on about asia and its emergence into the global economy. I really want to learn so much more and understand what is really going on in the world. Understanding leads to greater respect and increased perspective. It was hard to finance this trip, but I felt from the beginnning that it was the right thing for me to do. I am coming to understand why to some degree. It is making me see the bigger picture and find out more about myself and my place in the world. Little things that come up in lectures or talking or goofing around with friends on this trip have made me stop and realize that I needed to be told that or I needed to realize that in my life. Again what a blessing! The big thing for me has been that if you are honest and trustworthy in whatever you do, you will be successful. If you make a mistake, own up to it and move on. If you are not successful, at least you can lay down at night with a clear peace of mind.

I will strive for that in my life. I am excited to see what other gems I can pick out of the next three weeks!

All my love from the other side of the world!

1 comments:

Dave said...

Kati! I am so glad you reminded me! I have been looking all over for a really good dozen chicken feet. Please add that to my order of 1 $100,000 flat screen television.

Btw, I will listen to you forever on global economy and globalization. And I mean FOREVER! I can't get enough of that stuff.

Also, your writing is incredible. You have a real gift. Keep it up; your blog is sustaining my entrepreneur fix.

Much love!

Dave