Pages

Friday, June 6, 2008

The Wonderful World of China

Sorry for the laps in postings. I have been soooo busy seeing the sights of Beijing China and I haven't had free access to the internet until now. Anyway! Where do I begin! they say that if you come to China for a week you can go home and write a book! I have only been here less than a week and I feel like I could write a whole series on my experiences, thoughts, and insights. China is such an amazing place. I feel like it is changing and growing right before my eyes. We have been able to visit so many interesting businesses on the forefront of biotechnology and American interactions with China. What a blessing to be able to see their expansion and growth first hand!

The Silk Market is the most amazing experience. I about had a heart attack! There are hundreds of booths with clothes, accessories, purses, chinese souvenirs and jewelry, They have workers that physically pull you into their booth and haggle with you for their merchandise. I was blown away. I am not a good bargainer so I struggled to get a good deal. But I guess that is good because I know that some of my friends will be paying for overweight luggage the rest of the trip.

We went to a great acrobatic show and kung fu show I have never seen such flexibility and strength!

Today I climbed the Great Wall of China! I cant believe I am saying that! It was such an amazing experience! We drove to a section and started the hardest climb of my life! it seemed like we where trying to climb a vertical slope and sometimes we were. I thought I would have to stop some of the times, but I persevered and got to the peak of that section. The wall stretched out as far as I could see, winding back and forth, up and down the steep peaks of the china mountain side. I marvel at the construction and the effort that went into building it. Some say that it is the longest continuous cemetery in the world because of the people that would die working on it that would just be buried in the construction. I feel so blessed to be able to see such a miracle and evidence of mans ingenuity and strength and national pride. It is cool to feel like you cant go any further, push yourself, and reach the top. I now have a physical experience to remember how to reach a goal. Soooo cool. I wish everyone could experience that feeling.

We are heading out of Beijing tomorrow night after visiting the last few sites in Beijing. I am bursting at the seams with thoughts and feelings about the last few days.

I will try to write soon but I dont know how internet access will be as we travel! I will write as soon as I can!
All my love from the other side of the world!

0 comments: