Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sunny Shanghai!

Yeah! It is finally sunny in Shanghai! I am so sick of rain and my prayers were answered. It was a beautiful day in a gorgeous city. We had an interesting lecture by an alum that is working here in Shanghai with investing and aquiring previously state owned companies. It was really interesting to hear the success of a fellow student.

I went and had really good Korean food. It was the best Korean food ironically in China! It is kind of like Peruvian food without the potatos. Weird.

We went down to the river and walked around the area. It was so fun to see the unique architecture. I am in awe of the cleanliness and beauty of the city. We went to an interesting Shanghai museum. It was full of coins, furniture, ceramics, dress, caligraphy, and paintings from Chinese history. The coolest exibit was one on loan from the British Museum about the origin of the olympics. Statues, Vases, Medals and Bronzes from the ancient olympic games were on display. Who would have thought that I could see ancient greek artifacts in Shanghai China!

We had dinner in a Japanese Noodle place. I needed to take a break from traditional chinese. We all went back to the river to see the city lights. Every building has its own type of light show. Neon colors and different patterns show up on the surface of the buildings. It was sooo cool to see the city come alive in the dark. The street sellers were so agressive. They were selling kites, tops, watches, postcards, and a bunch of crazy stuff. It was fun to see peoples reaction to them and the tactics they come up with to barder a good price.

A singing group from Ohio State is staying the hotel with us and we will probably go out and Karaoke with them tonight. I dont know exactly though.

Tomorrow is our last day in Shanghai but it should be a good one with visits to a silk factory and more tours of the city.

I am still not used to being stared at so much. It is fun to walk with one of my friends that is 6'2" the reactions on the peoples faces are sometimes priceless. I am ready to head out to Xian. there is much more history and rural china. I love the city but I would love to see more of the countryside. Life is good!

0 comments: